Thursday, April 24, 2008


Ok...so like here's the deal....
Does like any of this stuff like ring a bell with you???

penny loafers.......acid washed jean jackets with lots of pins......ultra teased big hair made possible by Aqua Net hairspray (the pink and white can).....Miami Vice fashions....."Where's the Beef??"....Jelly shoes.....blue and pink mascara.....Trapper Keepers.....Break Dancing.....Atari..... puffy paint shirts....braided friendship bracelets.....beaded friendship safety pins....jelly bracelets (lots of them)....Sam & Libby's shoes....watches with games....Baby Soft perfume....legwarmers...lots of different colored scrunchy socks.....tight rolled up jeans....shirts with turned up collars.....red/black/purple/white high top Reeboks....lots of NEON stuff....Madonna wannabes (lace gloves w/the fingers out, big bow head bands, lace leggings)....Swatches and Swatch protecters.....canvas or leather Candies tennis shoes.....parachute pants.....Jams.....Valleygirls....Rubik's Cube.....Michael Jackson before he morphed himself.....zipper jackets.....shirt clips.....saying "psyche!!"

Ohhh...the memories...
On a typical day in the 80's you could find me in my jean jacket, with my bangs sprayed stiff sticking straight up like I ran into a wall, my lacey big bow head band, clear jelly shoes, with some friendship bracelets...and a few beaded friendship safety pins on my jean jacket, my pink Swatch, my oversized shirt with a shirt clip, with some leggings with lace around the bottom. I might even throw out a "psyche!!" occasionally.

Ok....so like here's your like question for the day like Ok....

I told you how you would find me back in the day....
How would we find YOU back in YOUR day????
What were some of YOUR favorite things???
This should be fun!!

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Swatch and Swatch guards! That's hilarious....I had so many different ones. I was a Swatch junkie.
I had tons of jelly shoes...every color in the rainbow. Jelly bracelets too.
I was also a Madonna wannabe! Big hair, big bows, lace gloves.
I loved all the big hair rock bands too...Cinderella, Motley Crue, and Winger to name a few.

Thanks for the trip down memory lane!!

Great question.

Love ya
Karen

Anonymous said...

I'm not from generation 80's.I'mgeneration 60's.I wore bellbottoms,tye-dye shirts, mood rings,platform shoes and go go boots.I even went through a time of bouffant hairdos.This is bringing back scary memories. I might email you some pictures of me from way back when.

I love you Jennifer
fun question
-ann

Tam said...

O MY...in 84 I was a freshman...so I loved Oxford shirts with cordroy LEVIS and brown Hush puppy boots...hmmm then I went through a phase of loving High Top Reeboks. My Hair was BIG. Spiral PERM or very curly perm and long big hair! Comb in back pocket! Lots of makeup! I loved Def Leopard, Motley Crue, WhiteSnake! MTV was important in my life! By 1987 I loved jeans and sport coat jacket thingy...Half shirts also in the summer. Short Skirts in pastel colors with a polo shirt by 1987 with little white canvas tennis shoes. Sort of tennis look happening there. lol

OOO too funny...I have to admit though my fav era was the poodle skirt and saddle shoes...I would have preferred that personally!

Anonymous said...

I guess we are close to the same age because your list could be my list! So funny!

Greta said...

I was into the fluorescent scene. I was all about fluoescent pink. I also loved my Swatch. I bought the pink and blue one with matching swatch guards that I twisted to make it even more protected. I was so proud of that watch. It stopped working after awhile, but I still wore it, it was a swatch, who wouldn't? I had big, big hair. Like the mullet perm with a big huge hairball on top of my head, that no one could move. I am also getting of memory of my pink and blue plaid Tretorns, the other canvas shoe. Loved them. I also remember making mix tapes from my favorite radio stations. I probably still have some somewhere in all of my stuff. Those were the days!
Greta

Pierce Family Happenings said...

I, like Greta, loved my Swatch watches and guards...I actually wore two at the same time...how cool was I? :) Heehee! I also had some Coca-Cola rugby shirts -remember those? I thought they were pretty cool. Along with brown Sebago (sp?) shoes. Now that was an outfit. Of course, Aquanet was the only way to go for a true hairstyle.
LOVE this QOTD! :)
Anne

Michelle said...

MEMBERS ONLY JACKETS.......

Damn Jen, we're getting OLD!

I remember (sadly) every single one of those things!

KC said...

I must have had at least 200 jelly bracelets.. and the breaded friendship braceltes making them was mine and my friends favorite pass time. Yeap had the big hair and big bows. Jelly shoes, trapper keepers and I use to Like always Like talk like this Like ya know,like. the tight roll of the blue jeans were a must. had a ton of buttons on my jean jacket.. though DH hated that jacket I didn't know it at the time he didn't tell me that until after we were married. Ya know alot of this stuff I remember as preteen or young teen. I graduated high school in 1991, even though it was the 90's there was still alot of the 80's left.

Amy said...

Swatch watches...haven't thought about them in a long time. My boyfriend had one in the 5th grade and I got to wear it...so cool. I also wore moon boots, stretch pants, big bangs and more ugly than I can talk about! So fun to remember when!

Faith said...

Well, in the 1980's I was in my twentys. was 20 in 1980 and in college. I typically was a "preppy girl". had everything.
The SWATCH! I had like 3. From age 22-23 I was totally in to the Flashdance look.
mid-'80s I was a substitute teacher so had to dress up every day in "teacher duds". for casual I wore leggings, baggy shirts and of course those scrunched down sox!
Late 1980's I had grad school, MS degree and my first full time teaching job. So...plaid skirts, the tops, the ballet flats, the jeans with oxford shirts. I never had big hair. Always a bob after college (had hair to my waist in those days!) And I loved clogs.

Anonymous said...

GREAT POST! WHAT A TRIP DOWN MEMORY LANE...on a typical 80's day...late 80's which I would have been like 10-12 defiantly sported the shirt clip, w/leggings...and jelly's..or some jams and those good ol'Kangroo's, cause I could put my lunch money in side! THey ROCKED!!! Love it, what fun!!! and loved to jam...to Motley Crue, Gun's-n-Roses, poison...you name it..but then NEW KIDS ON THE BLOCK & VANILLA ICE COME OUT, AND THEY ROCKED MORE!!!

Rachel said...

You are a HOOT! Like, what a like fun question like ok.
In the mid 80's I was 12. I loved flourescent shirts, shorts, socks and shoes. I also like alot of metallic silver stuff...I had a silver shirt and silver shoes.
I also had alot of the jeans with designs on them...like paint splatters.
I was also def a Madonna wannabe. I was rocking the big bows on the head bands and the lace gloves.
I even owned a red Michael Jackson jacket. lol!!

I also loved all the big hair bands of the 80's.

Oh...and who could live without Aqua Net hairspray in the 80's. That was a must have for those big hair days!

I loved Swatches too. I had 3 of them...a clear one, a pink one and a purple one. With Swatch guards to match them all of course.

I haven't thought about all this stuff in years.

Anonymous said...

Oh my! Back in the 80's I was totally into the punk style/scene. I had my nose pierced with a chain going from the ring in it to the ring in my ear. I LOVE mismatched clothed from the Salvation Army thrift store (which irritated my upscale parents like you wouldn't belive...part of what made it enjoyable at the time I think). I had a purple mohawk and high-top Converse shoes with dinosaurs on them. I dressed for the shock value and then always claimed to, "hate it when people stared at me" when that's really what I was going for! I was a mess, but I thought I was SO unique (yeah, my and ALL the other punks back then...we were cookie cutter images just like many other groups but kids never seem to realize that)
OK JENNIFER...THAT WAS ME THEN, NOT NOW!!! So don't get all freaked and deleate me from every corner of your computer! God did a work in my life in the 90's and changed me BOTH inside and OUT :)

Jerica Smith said...

Where did you find that picture of me and my pink dress! We are definately out of the same mold-except my hair spray was grand finale-the kind that you literally had to wash your hair with vinegar to get the junk out of it every so often! (and of course of you had a bad hair day-that was just the end of the world!) Great trip down memory lane-I think :)
Much love!!