Friday, April 18, 2008

Good Afternoon!
I have lost another pound this week. I can't believe it! That puts me up to a total of 8 pounds..total weight loss. I'm happy with that. Now comes the maintaining part. I've never wanted to be very thin....just healthy and toned. I still have a ways to go on the "toned" part....but I am definitely working hard to get where I want to be.

I have ran 4 days this week...and I will be running in the morning too. I am up to 3 miles now. Yesterday I went with Kelly and Sara (friends from the gym) and they ran over 4 miles. I pushed myself as much as I could...then I bailed. I made it for a little over 3 miles though....not flat terrain either. I have focused and improved on my breathing while I run....that has helped alot! It is still TOUGH! But...I REALLY enjoy it. It gives me such a sense of accomplishment.

It's been nice getting to know these ladies. I've gone to this particular gym for a little over 2 years now. I never mingled until just lately....I just did my thing and went home.
I have become guarded with myself and my feelings over the past few years. I simply don't open up to people like I once did. When you've been hurt....I think it just happens....I haven't had any control over it. I do not like being this way. It's not my personality. I've always been happy go lucky....no worries. I'm not the same person that I used to be.
I have prayed about this alot.
The moral to that little story is this. By allowing myself to open up to these ladies....I have learned alot. I've learned alot about fitness...and keeping myself healthy. Also.....keeping myself spiritually fit and healthy. Each one of these ladies are devoted christians....it's obvious. We encourage each other in many ways. I feel blessed to call them my friends now...not just acquaintances, I have enjoyed getting to know each of them.....I never knew what God had in store for me. I simply had to open up and let it happen.

In yesterday's post....I was reaching. I want to thank each of you so very much for taking the time to leave your comments.
This morning when I went to the gym, Sara and I began talking and she was telling me what a terrible day she had yesterday. Inside I smiled. Not that she was having a bad day.....just that I wasn't alone. We wound up talking, laughing about it...and promising to pray for each other every day. I love how our God works. He brings people into our lives when we need it the most.....saying exactly what we need to hear. It doesn't have to be some profound earth moving statement....just simply giving a little bit of encouragement...lifting one another up. Never tearing down. Sara had no idea...what I had dealt with the past few days. But, God did.
There's a verse that I love....always have. Here it is....

And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds. Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching. Hebrews 10:24-25

Our God is Good!

BTW....."We are Marshall" was a great movie. Such good came out of such tragedy. When Nate said..."That was my team, Coach!...that was my team." That's when my tears began to flow.

I hope you each have a fantastic weekend!

Oh and....I can't wait to see your weight loss numbers!! You guys are doing AWESOME!!! Just leave me a comment on this post with your weight loss for this past week and I will have the chart updated and ready to go on Monday.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are doing so awesome with your weight loss (even though I must say again ---- you did not need to lose any weight girl.

I am so glad you have met some Christian ladies at the gym. When I was working out at the gym -- I didn't meet any people either. Just worked out and came home.

I have a little problem getting to know people myself. I am an introvert by nature -- so I have to work hard to open myself up to people and I know all about the getting hurt by people thing to ---- that is never any fun.

I am really struggling being at a new church. Although, Travis and I believe it is where God wants us for whatever reason --- it is still really, really hard. I am praying that God will bring someone into my life there - that I can call a true friend.

We have met wonderful people, but when you are the "new kid" on the block and a shy one on top of that --- it just takes a while to "fit" in and find your place.

I love you girl and hang in there on those tough days!!

Diana

Diane Meyer said...

What an encouraging and uplifting post! Wonderful!
It is hard for me to open up to others sometimes and I find myself just wanting to hibernate up on my mountain by myself.
But I think one of Satan's greatest tools may be isolation.
PS. I am back to walking again, after a 7 month medical break. Yay!

Faith said...

I really like how you share your heart here Jennifer. I used to be (and still am much of the time) the same way about opening up to people. My experience was one where if I showed my true self, I would be judged. (some "holier than thou" Christians from a former church). But...along with the move to a new church that the Lord called us to, one where mercy and grace is preached and practiced, came a new sense of "just be your self, Faith". I am glad you have Christian friends to run with....I too have one close friend whom I get together with to do our power walking and it really helps to encourage each other...speaking of power walking...I have been lazy (well, just doing spring cleaning and yard work) and haven't gone all week....My weight holds at 116.
You are doing great!!

Keri said...

Hooray for friends! It's so wonderful to have other women to talk to that see things from your perspective. My few close Christian girlfriends are all in NY now :( I sure do miss them!

Great job on your weight loss too! Although from your pictures, you really don't look like you needed to lose any lbs to begin with. Always good to get healthier though!

Anonymous said...

Great job! I am finally down a pound to 138. That puts me at 3 since I joined with your group and 6 total. I would love to lose 5 more by the end of school. That's one pound a week, and I know I can do that if I try!

Amy said...

Jennifer-

I'm glad God has put Christian friends in your path to encourage and comfort you. He knows our needs and when we need them. Great job on the weight loss. Have a blessed weekend.

Anonymous said...

Yes Jennifer, Our God is so GOOD!! Im glad you have had a better day!!

mommy24treasures said...

Its so wonderful to hear that when you were brave enough to let your guard down, the two women you decided to show yourself friendly to were Christians that walk the walk. Thats great. 3 miles wow! The kids and I went on a hike yesterday around 2 miles up hill 1 mile and it was tough for me! They could go all day I think.
I am very guarded as well. I open up here in blogland way more than in reality.:)
Sorry about your rough day yesterday. Yes I have had days where I felt so guilty for using that dreaded momma voice we all regret, and being short on patience. It happens to me mostly when I begin feeling overwhelmed because I have alot on my plate for the day.
Hope your weekend is a good one!
COonnie

Nicole said...

Way to go on the weightloss! I have lost 8 pounds too...have to get ready for swimsuit weather which is right around the corner!!

I am glad you are meeting new people...it is always good...I am constantly meeting new people at work and baseball and soccer but I am really hard to get to know (that yucky shyness factor always gets in my way). I am happy for you though...I think God has a plan for all of us!

Rachel said...

You've done such a good job on your weight loss Jennifer. I agree with the other ladies, you didn't look like you needed to lose any weight to begin with.
Wow! I'm totally impressed with your running. 3 miles is no small feat! You have come a long way very quickly. I can tell you are a very determined lady! You are going to be in phenominal shape in no time.

It's awesome that you have let yourself open up to your running buddies. They sound wonderful. Friends are blessing. Always remember not to let a few bad apples (ie..friends) leave a bad taste in your mouth. I have been hurt before many times, it's no fun. The devil would love to keep us isolated. Always try to get to know new people...you never know what blessings the Lord has in store for you...and what a blessing YOU can be to others.
You seem to have a wealth of friends as it is. You are very fortunate.

I have stayed the same weight this week. You have inspired me to try to run/jog. I'm going to try it and see what happens.

Amy said...

Congrats on your weight loss, Jennifer! You have done so well and WTG on your running. Pretty soon you'll be passing those other ladies and leaving then in their tracks! ;o)

I don't know if it's my age (43) or what, but I have been able to quit worrying about what others think of me. I figure that either you like me or you don't and if for some reason you tell others things about me that are not true I trust that might real friends will know what's right. It's easier said than done I know! Just remember to be your true to yourself and in all ways glorify Christ. And this too is easier said than done!!

Thank you for your prayers for my husband and I. He used to be so active in our church and a wonderful spiritual leader. The devil really has a hold on him right now and it is not easy to watch him be depressed. I cannot get him to talk to our pastor, but I am going and it is helping me for sure. I know my God is bigger than this problem and through Him we can overcome it!

I will be praying for you too Jennifer. I love the world of blogging because we can ask each other to lift us up in prayer. And sometimes it's easier to share our burdens with strangers, ya know?

You make me feel at home when I come to "visit" you and I love that! Thank you!

~cassie~ said...

I completely understand where you are coming from...I used to be a "keep to myself" kind of girl...Once you open up to others, and realize how easy it is to get hurt....it is so hard to do it again...

But the "bad apples" in life are what makes our lives what they are today...God places each person that we come into contact with in our lives, for a reason...and I thank him for it...I am who I am today, because of "where I have been.."...

I am glad you have found some good Christian friends to exercise with...Lisa (my co-worker) and I work out together a lot...and there is nothing like good company to make a work out that much better....3 miles is AWESOME! Way to go!!!

FlipFlop Mom said...

This is a GREAT post !!!! I loved reading... I wouldn't call your stopping point a "bail".. Not at all... I think you're doing fabulous!! Keep up the great work... I've been walking.. no running yet... I'll get back into that... but for now.. I'm soaking up our MUCH needed sun!! Keep up the good work.. I need to reach out to people more too!!! I know this!! time for me to get off my "safe" butt and search!!

Tam said...

Congrats on the weight LOSS! Hope your weekend was great. Hey MY husband got back from Scotland and decided he was tired so we chilled with two new movies...JUNO about a prego teen I would call it a Napolean Dynamite kind of Movie.. and the other was called August Rush. I caught on how you like Movies so anyway hope your weekend was great!!!!!!!!