This morning as Jarrett was getting his backpack....I remembered that I had forgotten to sign his assignment book on Friday. So I got it out and found a note from his teacher saying that he had some behavior problems in class on Friday. The note said that he had thrown popcorn across the room during snack and was having trouble staying in his seat.
I was pretty upset. That doesn't sound like Jarrett at all. But, within the past couple of weeks...Michael and I have noticed a change in him. Jarrett has, for the most part, been such a well behaved little man, but he has developed a little attitude. He has been talking back to us when we ask him to do something or correct him. That doesn't go over to well with us whatsoever.
In a previous entry...I was talking about Michael having a stressful week. Well....I neglected to mention that I too, have had a stressful couple of weeks. Jarrett and Blake both have really been testing my patience. I, at one time, had the patience of Job, but that has slowly been dwindled away. Everyone still tells me that I'm a very patient person...but I can see the difference in myself. I hate to have to spank, ground, or fuss at the boys. That part really stinks about being a parent. I remember Mom and Daddy saying.."It hurts me to have to spank you." Boy, was that ever the truth!! I also tend to second guess myself when it comes to punishment. I wonder if I am handling the situation the correct way. I know that's the devil wanting me to doubt myself and feel guilty. We want to raise Christian/obedient/respectful boys...the devil wants nothing but chaos in christian homes. He would love for us to just say..."Don't do that again or you will be in trouble." and then never follow through with the punishment so that WE won't feel bad. Unfortunately that's all part of being a parent...you have to lead and guide them...and sometimes that requires rules and also punishment when those rules are not kept. If we allowed Jarrett and Blake to act out and not face any consequences we would not be doing them any good at all....and definitely not teaching them anything.
The devil would love to see us be lazy in our discipline and not hold our boys accountable for their actions...raising disrespectful, disobedient, irresponsible children.
With God to guide us...and lots of prayers....we hope to be the parents that God wants us to be. All we can do is pray and ask for guidance from the good Lord above. Being a parent is a tough job...but so wonderful and fulfilling at the same time.
With all that said....I can still say that I have the best job in the world, being a MOMMY. Even on the worst of days...there's always something that I can see in my boys that make me love them even more...and it makes those negative times seem not so bad =-) One thing I always tell Jarrett and Blake is....Mommy loves you no matter what! even when you are in trouble....even when I'm not happy with you....I will always love you no matter what!! I want to make sure they both know and understand that....ALWAYS!
I love my blog....I just reread this....and....I think I was subconsciously counseling myself.
It helped, I feel better ;-).
*************************************************
I had to add this....
I just spoke to Michael on the phone and told him about the note from Jarrett's teacher. Michael said......"hmmmm, that reminds me of myself when I was his age."
So...THAT'S where he gets it!!! I never did anything wrong...so he certainly couldn't get it from mwah!!
I just had to get up and move, before lightening struck the chair I was sitting in. ;-)
Monday, November 19, 2007
Being A Parent Ain't Always Easy!!
Posted by
Jennifer
at
8:12 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
















3 comments:
Jennifer:
Just catching up on your blog and read the part about the note from Jarrett's teacher. First, let me say that you are not alone in the surprises of 3rd grade. I understand from those who have gone before us that this is the year for our young men to start "finding themselves". That said, I have also found that the attitude and mouth that started coming from Andrew tended to slow down as I began to really monitor his television and movies. He had "moved up" to some of the more tween age Disney shows, etc. and I was a little more lenient with the PG movies....and I started getting back talk. I restricted the afternoon shows to PBS - which are all still fun and entertaining but with lots less attitude - and the movies became more "family" and less Transformers/ Spiderman, etc. and he unconsciously became the young man I know and love again. No lecture, no explanation - just a quiet decision that worked.
Happy Turkey Day my special friend !! Jamie
I am so addicted to reading your blog. I look at it every single day. Keep it coming you blog queen!
Love you,
Christy
thank you for your blog; it is an moral help for my wife and me to read the daily history of a peaceful and religiuos family; God bless you all
Post a Comment