Thursday, February 28, 2008

infomercial

Michael loves a nice, shiny, clean car...he tries to always keep ours nice and clean.
Anyway...within the first year of our marriage. He had sat through an infomercial about a spray on wax. The spokesperson on the infomercial made the wax look great...one of a kind. After using the wax..the cars looked brand new!
Michael was completely taken in by it and he is not a gullible man by no means. The infomercial was very convincing. So he picked up the phone....and for $19.95 + shipping and handling, it was sitting on our doorstep in about 7 days.
I remember he washed my car up all nice and clean....then put the spray wax on. I had to admit it looked GREAT!
But, much to his dismay, the shine went away in about 6/7 months and the paint was flat, dull, and in some small spots the paint began to peel.
Soon after that, we traded my car.
We learned our lesson about infomercials.

Some are not all bad though! I sat through an infomercial about Bare Minerals cosmetics...and I was blown away!Bare MInerals I made a purchase and loved it! I have used it for 8 months now.

Ok.....here's your question of the day....
Have YOU ever purchased a product after watching an infomercial??
If so...tell us what it was, and was it a good or bad experience??

7 comments:

Nicole said...

My ? should be what HAVEN'T I purchased!!! Makeup, exercise equipment, weightloss pills...lets face it I want to believe it will all work!!!

I am getting ready to purchase Hip Hop Abs from beachbody.com after seeing the infomercial yesterday...AWESOME...a flat tummy without situps...who wouldn't want that?!? And we all know how much I love hip hop music!!!

Diane Meyer said...

oh gosh, I'm glad you mentioned the car wax. We totally would have fallen for that.
Rod and I love to laugh at the infomercials. Like the pancake flipper one? If you don't have the pancake flipper, you pancakes end up all over the floor?! Ha ha!
But I have bought an excercise ball and video. Still have it. And the gut, too. Hmmmm.

Faith said...

I DESPISE infomercials. It is such a waste of my time. However, I did watch one for ProActive skin care system for my oldest daughter. ARGH....it worked a little bit for the first month and then her skin got worse! (and I watched one once on vacation in the early a.m. and it was about an exer-ball...lo and behold there was one at our beach house that a family member had purchased. It was a great workout...those balls are fantastic!)). Those are the only 2 I have ever watched!

Rachel said...

Hi Jennifer..
This is a random question!!
hmmmm...I like to watch infomercials sometimes....just because they're so darn funny.

I have tried ProActive...I still us it...It seems to work ok.
By best infomercial purchase was a Twisty Towel. I have four and I use them when I'm doing my makeup. It's just the right size to put your hair up and then the end of the towel has velcro and you can attach it to the bottom of the towel...so it doesn't slip off your head.

Ok...there's my infomercial input.

Sonya said...

I never have ordered anything this way but I'd love to try Bare Minerals make up.

I have to admit, I like watching some infomercials. I think it's because they are funny. I mean, come on, think about that Jake guy with long blonde curly hair on that exercise machine. He is hilarious! I also like that Chuck Norris/Christie Brinkley one about the work out equipment. LOL!

Sonya said...

In case I forget, my loss for this week (2/29) is 2lbs. We had weigh in at the WW meeting on Thursday evening and I'm thrilled!

mommy24treasures said...

oh yeah... I use bare minerals now and love it, before that I used Victoria Jackson cosmetics because of the infomercial, I am sure there are other things too, these are the first two though that come to mind.