We had to say good bye to our much loved cat, Tiger, yesterday.
We came home from church yesterday and Tiger was waiting at the door for us as always. We fed him and them let him go outside to play since it was warmer than usual.
He had been out for about 30 minutes.
Then our phone rang and it was our neighbor down the street, she never calls.
She called to tell us that her husband witnessed this teenage boy...who always speeds up and down our road...hit our precious little Tiger.
I was the only one that knew at first. Michael, Jarrett and Blake were downstairs in the den playing basketball. I looked outside and I could see Tiger laying over in the wooded area across the street from our house.
So I walked across the street and into the woods to see for sure if that was him. It was...it looked like he had just went over there and laid down. I just sat there and cried.
My next instinct was to go and let that boy have it! I did, but I was alot nicer than I wanted to be.
I got up and walked to that boys house, which is only 2 houses down from ours. His dad came to the door and I asked if I could speak to his son, Andrew. Andrew came to the door and I told him that I wanted to personally tell him what had happened. I told him that he had hit our cat and that he had died...and that if he doesn't quit driving so fast up and down our road the next time it could be a child!
I didn't even give him a chance to respond. I just walked back home.
Then...I had to go in the house and tell Michael what had happened. I asked Michael to come upstairs....and as soon as he saw my face he knew what was wrong. He said "Tiger?". He said he had a feeling something had happened to him when that lady called. Michael loved Tiger just as much as I did. He's not a cat lover...but he LOVED our Tiger.
We were not sure how to handle it with Jarrett and Blake. We knew they were going to be heartbroken. We decided it would be best to tell them the truth...not just let them think that he ran away. We felt like they needed to know the truth. We decided to tell Jarrett first. So when Blake laid down for his nap....we took Jarrett down into the den. We sat him down and told him. He couldn't believe it at first...then when it sunk in he just sat there and sobbed. He cried forever...or so it seemed. Michael sat and held him while he cried.
We told Jarrett we were going to have to bury Tiger. Jarrett said he wanted to see him before we buried him. Michael went and got him. Tiger looked like he was just asleep...no blood or anything.
Jarrett said he wanted to write and note and put it in the box with Tiger. So he did...his note said that we were going to miss him and that we loved him. Then he put some of Tiger's toys in the box with him.
We buried Tiger in our backyard. Michael made a little cross and put it at the top of the grave.
Then when Blake woke up from his nap. The first thing he said was "Where's Tiger poo" That's what Blake had started calling Tiger. So Michael picked Blake up and told him that Tiger wasn't here anymore and that he had gone to Heaven. We explained to him what happened...the best that we could. We thought about NOT telling him...just to let him think that Tiger had ran away. We weren't sure how to handle this....so we decided it was best to tell him the truth. Not to hide it from him. Blake didn't cry...he just asked us so many questions. Michael told the boys that we would go one day this week and see if we could find a new friend for our family. Not to replace Tiger....but to give us a new friend. We explained that Tiger would ALWAYS be a part of our family.
Blake said "I just want Tiger to come back."
I think that statement summed up the way we all feel.
Last night Jarrett and Blake slept together..for the first time ever...Michael and I felt like it was because they were so upset.
Today will be hard. When Jarrett is at school....Blake always plays with Tiger all day, it's like Tiger filled in for Jarrett while he was at school. Tiger was our little buddy.
Jarrett wants to go and get flowers to put on Tigers grave when he gets home from school today.
We are going to miss Tiger so much. He was not only our pet, but he was part of our family.




This is Blake and Tiger....a few weeks after we brought Tiger home. He was so little.
Jarrett and Blake showing Tiger what Santa put in his stocking.

laying with me in my chair....being the lazy cat that we all loved =-)

We came home from church yesterday and Tiger was waiting at the door for us as always. We fed him and them let him go outside to play since it was warmer than usual.
He had been out for about 30 minutes.
Then our phone rang and it was our neighbor down the street, she never calls.
She called to tell us that her husband witnessed this teenage boy...who always speeds up and down our road...hit our precious little Tiger.
I was the only one that knew at first. Michael, Jarrett and Blake were downstairs in the den playing basketball. I looked outside and I could see Tiger laying over in the wooded area across the street from our house.
So I walked across the street and into the woods to see for sure if that was him. It was...it looked like he had just went over there and laid down. I just sat there and cried.
My next instinct was to go and let that boy have it! I did, but I was alot nicer than I wanted to be.
I got up and walked to that boys house, which is only 2 houses down from ours. His dad came to the door and I asked if I could speak to his son, Andrew. Andrew came to the door and I told him that I wanted to personally tell him what had happened. I told him that he had hit our cat and that he had died...and that if he doesn't quit driving so fast up and down our road the next time it could be a child!
I didn't even give him a chance to respond. I just walked back home.
Then...I had to go in the house and tell Michael what had happened. I asked Michael to come upstairs....and as soon as he saw my face he knew what was wrong. He said "Tiger?". He said he had a feeling something had happened to him when that lady called. Michael loved Tiger just as much as I did. He's not a cat lover...but he LOVED our Tiger.
We were not sure how to handle it with Jarrett and Blake. We knew they were going to be heartbroken. We decided it would be best to tell them the truth...not just let them think that he ran away. We felt like they needed to know the truth. We decided to tell Jarrett first. So when Blake laid down for his nap....we took Jarrett down into the den. We sat him down and told him. He couldn't believe it at first...then when it sunk in he just sat there and sobbed. He cried forever...or so it seemed. Michael sat and held him while he cried.
We told Jarrett we were going to have to bury Tiger. Jarrett said he wanted to see him before we buried him. Michael went and got him. Tiger looked like he was just asleep...no blood or anything.
Jarrett said he wanted to write and note and put it in the box with Tiger. So he did...his note said that we were going to miss him and that we loved him. Then he put some of Tiger's toys in the box with him.
We buried Tiger in our backyard. Michael made a little cross and put it at the top of the grave.
Then when Blake woke up from his nap. The first thing he said was "Where's Tiger poo" That's what Blake had started calling Tiger. So Michael picked Blake up and told him that Tiger wasn't here anymore and that he had gone to Heaven. We explained to him what happened...the best that we could. We thought about NOT telling him...just to let him think that Tiger had ran away. We weren't sure how to handle this....so we decided it was best to tell him the truth. Not to hide it from him. Blake didn't cry...he just asked us so many questions. Michael told the boys that we would go one day this week and see if we could find a new friend for our family. Not to replace Tiger....but to give us a new friend. We explained that Tiger would ALWAYS be a part of our family.
Blake said "I just want Tiger to come back."
I think that statement summed up the way we all feel.
Last night Jarrett and Blake slept together..for the first time ever...Michael and I felt like it was because they were so upset.
Today will be hard. When Jarrett is at school....Blake always plays with Tiger all day, it's like Tiger filled in for Jarrett while he was at school. Tiger was our little buddy.
Jarrett wants to go and get flowers to put on Tigers grave when he gets home from school today.
We are going to miss Tiger so much. He was not only our pet, but he was part of our family.




This is Blake and Tiger....a few weeks after we brought Tiger home. He was so little.
Jarrett and Blake showing Tiger what Santa put in his stocking.
laying with me in my chair....being the lazy cat that we all loved =-)
















26 comments:
That is really sad! I am so sorry!
I am so sad to hear about your cat. Being a cat lover I know what you, Michael and the boys are going through. We lost one of our cats last year to old age and when we moved out here we had to give away two or our cats. Now we just have Elliott our oldest cat. He enjoys being the king of his castle. He is 14 years old and we know soon he will leave us.
Good for you for restraining yourself, but also for telling that teenager to his face what happened. Hopefully, he'll slow down now. I'm so sorry about Tiger. The kids and I were just at PetSmart getting more fish, but we always stop to look at their cats. I love cats, but Clay has allergies, and there are a ton of outdoor cats in our neighborhood, so no kitties for us. :-( But there was one feisty little "teenager" cat there that I'd have loved to take home. I hope when you guys are ready to get a new friend that you'll get one you can love just as much as Tiger.
I am an animal lover and understand completely that they are not our pets but part of the family. I am so very sorry.
My 19 year old was speeding last week and killed a kitty. We had a nice long talk about it too. I will be praying that Andrew starts driving responsibly. Again, I am so sorry. I know Tiger will be missed greatly.
Jenn
I am so sorry to read this. I know how much you guys loved your little Tiger.
I will pray for the Lord to mend your broken hearts.
Those pictures of Tiger with the boys are so sweet. Tiger knew how much he was loved I feel sure.
I love you and I will be thinking of you
Melissa
I am so sorry to hear that.
That really makes me sad.
love you
-Ann
I am so sorry to hear that.
Tiger was such a pretty cat and you could certainly tell from reading your blog that he was a much loved part of your family.
I am so proud of you for confronting that teenager. Maybe he will think of this instance the next time he his speeding down your road or any road!
You are exactly right it could have been a child running after a ball.
Love
Karen
So...so...sad.
I know how it feels to lose a pet.
Our dog died last year of old age and it was very hard for all of us. If you love your pet they very much become a member of your family.
I will be praying for you all.
I love you Jennifer
Sharon
I am so very sorry to hear this.
Tiger was a beautiful cat.
I can tell just by reading your blog how much he was loved.
I will be thinking of you and your sweet family.
I REALLY HATE THAT.
I AM SO SORRY!
I KNOW THOSE BOYS WILL MISS HIM TERRIBLY.
I WILL SAY A PRAY FOR EACH OF YOU.
MELINDA
I am so sorry to hear about your beloved Tiger. Although I personally don't care for cats (only because I have allergies to them) I can understand your sadness....and good for you for telling the teen boy what he did....hopefully he will slow down! May God give you Peace, sister!
I am so sorry to hear about that. It is so hard for the kids, I know.I do think you did the right thing by telling that teenager about what happened. Good for you! I know if you find a new friend for you family--he or she will be one lucky kitten!
That is the saddest thing ever when a child looses a pet. I think you did best by telling the truth. Honesty is the best policy. Poor little guys.......
Your cuz
I am so sorry! As a cat *momma* myself I know how they become a part of your family.
My your hearts mend and your litterbox be filled once again ;)
The pictures were adorable to see!
BLESS THOSE LITTLE SWEET BOYS HEARTS.
I WILL PRAY FOR EACH OF YOU THAT GOD WILL MEND YOUR HEARTS QUICKLY.
CAROL
I am so sad for you guys.
Tell Jarrett and Blake that Ethan and I said we are so sorry about their Tiger.
We have a cat that we have had for 6 years...she is considered part of our family too. I understand your pain.
Love,
Molly
and
I am so glad you confronted that teen. He needs to understand there's consequences for his actions.
Thank God it wasn't a child!
Molly
I am so sad to hear the news! My heart is broken for you and your family. Our four cats are not just cats in our family! So from our family of four plus four cats and four hermit crabs our hearts are very broken for your loss of Tiger!!!!! I will send many prayers to you guys.
God bless
So sorry to hear of your loss...our pets can be such a huge part of our family.
checking in on you guys this morning! I hope this finds you guys OK. I know it is hard and my heart is just as broken for you and your little ones!
Ohhh Ohhh.. I am soooooo terribly sorry for your loss!!! :( Gosh.. I would have screamed and lost it... you are a better person than I... HUGS!!
Stopped by before bed to send more prayers and a virtual HUG!
It's amazing how pets become family. Our children went into hysterics when our first goldfish died! We learn about our own value, when we value another.
We are so sorry about Tiger. He was a very nice animal and we can imagine how you miss him.
How sad! We are animals lovers and have four cats ourselves. Recently, one of our cats got out (she's not used to being out) and was gone for almost two weeks. We were worried to death. Thankfully, she came back unharmed.
I'm glad you went and spoke with this boy who hit your cat. You made him accountable and hopefully that will make a difference the next time he gets behind the wheel.
I was so sorry to read about your sweet little Tiger. I can tell how much your whole family loved him. He was a beautiful cat. I like to believe that our beloved pets will all be there waiting for us in heaven.
We are also cat lovers and have two cats - Marielle (white with black stripes - age 2) and Fitzy Pooh (our 10 year old black cat AKA - David's cat). David (and I) will be devastated when the time comes for "his" cat to leave us.
Jennifer, you handled everything very appropriately. It must have been so hard for you to endure those heartbreaking moments. Sending many hugs to you and your family.
Love, Sharon and David Moore
Post a Comment