Thursday, January 31, 2008

Hi, my name is Jennifer, I'm 34, and I have acne

I don't know what is going on with me. Since I have hit age 34 my skin has done a complete 360!!! I USED to have such a nice, clear complextion......even when I was in high school. Not any more. I have a crater face. Also....my skin is so dry...except my face, it's still oily as ever. UGH!!
I have spent the day running errands and I had an appointment with the dermatologist. I had gone before for cosmetic procedures, but today it was for my crater face. I found out that I have Adult Acne. Another lovely thing about getting older. The doctor said that women in their late 20's and 30's get this. LOVELY!! So, I have to take an antibiotic for 30 days twice a day, I have to apply a retinol cream to my face before I go to bed and also a benzoyl peroxide gel on my face in the AM.
On the bright side...the retinol cream...is supposed to get rid of fine lines and some wrinkles...and it dries up oily skin!! So that is a plus!
Another plus was....I had a spot to come up on my neck that looked a little suspicious to me. Me being the Sun Worshiper that I am.....you know what I was thinking. It scared me a little. So today I had that checked too, and it came back fine. So that is an answered prayer for me. I really NEED to start being more responsible about my sun exposure.

Snowflake Divider

7 comments:

AshNAlMom said...

Amen!!! I'm glad all check out OK. I have been telling you to take better care of your skin. You all make fun of me for being the Sunscreen Queen. The next time I see you with that accellerator I am going to throw it away. Even if it turnes into a battle...I will win. Just remember it's because I love you.

Nicole said...

been there...done that...I always had good skin until my mid 30s and I have went through every med in the book...i feel for you because it isnt fun!!

Faith said...

Ok I must be the weird one. My acne started at about age 15 and got pretty severe. Back in the late 70's there was like NOTHING that worked. Once I hit my 30's my skin stopped breaking out (being on the birth control pill for 2 years really helped too) and now my skin is somewhat clear although I have some acne scars. BUT...my 14 yr old daughter JUST started getting acne last summer and she is on the same medications you are! And praise be to God, it is starting to work! be persistant and patient. I pray my Courtney doesn't go through what I went through. The Duac really seems like it works well. OH...I had a spot removed on my back in Aug. and thank the Lord it was nothing. The dermatologist said Well, Faith welcome to your late 40's..this brown spot is sometimes called an old age spot! (I was mortified!) she froze it off! LOL

FlipFlop Mom said...

Ok..I'm being honest here.. totally honest... from looking at all your pictures.. I would have never guessed it!! I don't doubt you.. but would have never guessed!! I tell you.. us women have the strangest bodies.. ever!!!

I'm glad that you went.. and got some help.. I too have to check out spots.. I'm WHITE as a ghost.. and I've been burned one to many times in my life!!!! Thanks for the reminder dearheart!!

Tam said...

My daily check in on you Blog. Glad to hear all is Well!

Nicole said...

Ok Jennifer I just read my comment again and I must be losing my mind!! I meant to say mid 20s considering I haven't hit my mid 30s yet!!! LOL!!! Typical me.

Anonymous said...

Jennifer -- I am right there with you on the adult acne. Mine hit a few years ago and have not been able to stay on meds because of pregnancies. Some people get pregnant and their faces clear up --mine got worse. Oh well!